Join us for Counterforce Lab's new lecture series inaugural session on Monday, January 23, 2023 from 12 to 1 PM in the EDA.
Eyes in the Sky, Birds in the Heart and Mind is Counterforce Lab’s new lecture series. As a point of departure, we will focus on the Biophilia Treehouse, Counterforce’s flagship project, a public art living sculpture, and an offering to birds. Join us to explore how drones, photogrammetry, and AR can foster interspecies friendships, reveal overlaps and disjunctures between scientific and Indigenous knowledge about birds, and let us marvel at avian life force.
• Monday, January 23, 2023, 12-1 PM: Introduction with the Counterforce Lab Team.
• Monday, January 30, 2023, 12-1 PM: Drones, remote sensing, and kelp forests in the California Bight with Kate Cavanaugh (UCLA Geography).
• Monday, February 6, 2023, 12-1 PM: Befriending L.A. birds with Ellie Diamant (UCLA Yeh Lab) and Ursula Heise (UCLA IoES)
• Monday, February 13, 2023, 12-1 PM Rebeca Méndez (UCLA DMA) and Elizabeth DeLoughrey (UCLA English) in conversation about the oceanic humanities and the aesthetics of submergence.
• Tuesday, February 21, 23023, 12-1 PM: Knowledge in environmentally-situated AR with Francesca Albrezzi (UCLA OARC).
Sessions are taking place in the EDA, Broad Art Center.